One person's thoughts about all of the above.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Way of Escape

I recently came to the conclusion that I need a new, healthy hobby. I’ve decided to try something I’ve always had a desire for, but never engaged as much as I would have liked: writing. Accordingly, I’ve started this blog. As it says above, my intent is essentially to share some of my thoughts on life, the universe, and everything (and a nice nerd-cookie to everybody who gets that reference). I’ll admit, a lot of my motivation for doing this is for myself, but it’s my hope that anybody reading will find it often thought provoking, sometimes challenging, and occasionally hilarious.

I don’t intend for this to always be a Bible study, but that will be a frequent element. My faith is an integral part of who I am, and I’ve come to find I engage God more intellectually than in any other way. My plan at the moment is to do a regular “segment”, probably weekly, where I examine a small(ish) piece of scripture and examine it’s context, meaning, and application. I'll start that with this first post, and look at one of my favorite verses:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. -1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)
For a long time, I saw this passage strictly as condemnation to the sinning Christian. It seems to insist that, since you're never faced with overly strong temptation, any failure is your own fault, because of your own weakness. "You weak, pathetic, sinner!" it seemed to say, "Don't you know you have ZERO excuse?" While I still don't think that's an entirely wrong application, I also think Paul had a lot more to say when he wrote it. Let's take a look at the context:

1 Corinthians is a Pauline Epistle, which is a fancy way of saying it's a letter written by Paul. Specifically, it's a letter to the believers in the city of Corinth. Corinth was a major port city in Greece, and often a meeting place for people of many races and nations, due to it's location along major trade routes between Europe and Asia.  Paul wrote this letter during his time in Ephesus, approximately 53-57 AD. He writes to  the Corinthian church about several problems they had, one of them being an apparent problem with immorality among church members.

In chapter ten, he cites the example of the Jewish people's history. He reminds the believers how the people, led by Moses, received numerous blessings from God, but God still judged them and found them wanting, and most of them died in the wilderness because of their sin. Paul tells them that these things have been recorded and preserved as an example to them (and by extension, us), who live in "the end of ages" (vs 11). "Therefore," he says in verse 12, "Let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall." "Take heed" could, in more familiar terms, be expressed as "be careful". Based on what Paul just said, though, being careful hardly sounds sufficient. If the Jewish people who had been led out of Egypt and received such incredible blessings from God could not remain obedient, what hope could the modern believer possibly have? The answer lies in the next verse, our subject. Let me quote it again:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. -1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)
This isn't a message of condemnation, it's one of hope. Sin's power over us may seem insurmountable, but Paul makes it clear that it is not. God knows our limits, knows exactly how much we can take, and will never let us be tempted beyond that point. Paul also reminds us that the resistance to temptation doesn't necessarily come from us, but from God. The phrase "way of escape" is interesting. William Barclay, in his Daily Study Bible, explains that the Greek word Paul used denoted something like a mountain pass, such as would be used by a seemingly trapped army to make an escape from a foe. Such a passage might not be an easy one, but when the alternative is being destroyed by one's enemy, even a torturous escape route would, obviously, be preferable. This paints a vivid picture of the escape God provides from temptation: it may not be the easy way, but it is by far the better way.

That's exactly what this passage has come to mean to me. Yes, the power of sin and Satan can seem terrible, and yes, it may sometimes seem like there's no way out. But the Almighty God has promised me that yes, there IS another way, there is a better way, and I need only take it. Hallelujah! God is truly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment